Retirement Congratulations Messages
What to Write in a Retirement Card Message
Retirement card messages can be difficult card messages to write. You may feel a variety of feelings toward the retiree, and not know how to word their retirement wishes. Maybe you feel a little jealous, maybe glad they are leaving work, maybe happy for him or her.
Here are some tips and examples of retirement messages that you can use to help you express what you want to say. Use the tips and change the examples of retirement wishes for your deserving retiree.
Who are You Writing Your Retirement Message to?
Much depends on who you are when you write a retirement message for someone. If you are someone's boss, then your retirement wishes will be a lot different than if you are the retiree's grand daughter. For example, a retirement message from a boss might be:
- "Congratulations on your retirement. It has been a pleasure working with you. I am wishing you a relaxing, fun, and long retirement. Don't think too much about this place."
- "Dad, I am happy for you that you finally get to retire. I hope we can spend some more time together, and feel free to take your grand kids any time you want."
Examples of Retirement Messages
When someone retires, you may feel jealous
Think about who you are to the retiree when you read through these retirement messages. Ask yourself if you think you fit the message. If yes, then use those wishes for your card.
- You are a person I really admire, because you are a person who gets to retire.
- Wishing you a long, healthy, and happy retirement!
- Glad you finally get to retire. You deserve it. You've worked hard!
- You have been one of the best employees I have ever had. I know that you will be just as productive in your retirement pursuits. Good luck! You will be missed.
- I am glad you are retiring. I am planning on hanging out with you more now.
- Your work years are over, now your fun years begin!
- I have to admit, I am a little jealous of you. I wish I was retiring.
- Your retirement is probably just as welcomed by the company since you can now be replaced by someone much less experienced and cheaper. The reality is that you can never actually be replaced.
- If you put as much effort into enjoying your retirement as you have all the years you've been working, you’ll have an amazing, productive, dynamic and long lasting retirement. You deserve it!
- I'm glad you get to retire while you still have many good and capable years of life left in you! Congratulations!
- Now that you've got through birth, crawling, walking, school, and many years of work, you can finally relax!
Funny Retirement Messages
Use these funny retirement messages when you know the retiree well, and you know he or she can take a joke. Pick one you think the retiree will think is funny.
- Now is the time to experience the part of childhood that was stolen from you by school and work!
- You always did work hard at not having to work. Now that you're retired, you don't have to work as hard at not working.
- Now that you are retired, you get an even tougher boss... Your wife!
- I bet your company is really glad to see you go. After that many years your salary was probably worth two or three younger, more energetic workers.
- I don't know why you are even retiring. You know you won't be able to keep from working, you workaholic!
- I thought you retired several years ago, you are just making it official just now. I haven't seen you actually work in a long time.
- You may be ready to retire, but is your wife/husband ready?
- Retirement is the last stage of your life. I hope you make it as long in retirement as you did in your career.
- I'm glad you finally retired. Now I can have your job.
Suggestions for Retirement Messages
- If you are envious of the retiree, then tell him. It is actually sincere to tell the retiree that you are envious. He or she will probably feel even more privileged.
- Be sensitive to some of the emotions that a retiree will be feeling. Retirees can feel loss just like someone who has lost a person, relationship, or social status. Other retirees may feel extremely happy and have no feelings of loss. Those retirees are likely to be more family oriented individuals who will want to spend more time with family in retirement.
- Make plans to see the retiree more in your message. If your mom or dad is retiring, he or she may not know what to do with all the extra time. Make plans in your retirement message to hang out more.
- Be funny and be personal. Retirement card messages are all about being funny. It's supposed to be a happy occasion, so there are now taboo things to write. You can make fun of age, work ethic, etc. When you make the retirement joke personal to the retiree, then it's even better.