Thank You Card Messages
What to Write in a Thank You Card
What to Write on the Inside
When you sit down to write in a thank you card, many things may run through your head. Should you mention the gift given to you? If so, how much should you say? How can you be sincere? How do you express your feelings appropriately?
Use this simple formula to write a great thank you note:
Use this simple formula to write a great thank you note:
- Describe your reaction to the gift: "I love the new shirt you gave me for my birthday. I was surprised."
- Praise the giving person: "You are thoughtful, and you know my taste well. I admire your generosity."
- Express your feelings about the person: "I feel blessed to have an aunt like you."
- Close with a simple thank you message: "I appreciate the shirt, and I know I will enjoy wearing it. Thank you!"
Thank You Messages
Use these examples to help you get started writing. These messages will work even if you don't know the person well. If you do know the person well, add more specific and meaningful words..
- Thoughtful and generous are two words I think of when I think of you. Thanks!
- My hand is writing this message, because the bottom of my heart cannot hold a pen. I am very much grateful, from the bottom of my heart.
- I don't know how you did it, but you chose a perfect gift for a very picky person. Congratulations! And thank you!
- I will try not to ever underestimate your generosity. You have proven that you have no limits to your generosity.
- You are one of the most generous people I know.
- Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be grateful.
- If you could see my face, you'd see the smile you put on it.
- I would be grateful even if I didn't write this thank you card, but I wanted to let you know that I think you are cool. I couldn't find any "I think you're cool" cards at the store.
- I appreciate the (gift name) you gave me. It is a really great gift. You are thoughtful, and I am blessed to have a (relationship title) like you. Thank you!
- Thanks for knowing me and my weird taste. You did an amazing job finding a gift I love.
- I don't know how you knew what I wanted. You blew me away with your thoughtfulness and generosity.
- You are one of the most generous people I know. I was blown away when I opened your gift. Thank you!
- You are a blessing in my life. This awesome, thoughtful, generous gift you gave me is proof of that fact.
- I appreciate your support and generosity. Thank you for celebrating my graduation with me. The (money/gift cards) will be useful for (college/moving out/buying a car).
- What a surprise! You never fail to surprise me every time you give me a gift.
- How can I say thanks in a way that will express the gratitude I feel. How about a hug?
Thank You Messages for Acts of Service
Sometimes people give time and/or energy in an act of service. This can be even more meaningful than money or a gift. In this case, focus mostly on what was done, and praise the person who helped you.
- Assistance is sometimes needed. Your assistance is exactly what I needed.
- Not many people would have given their time and energy so freely to someone the way you did. You are a special kind of generous.
- I appreciate all your hard work! You helped me when I really needed it. I wouldn't have been able to get through that challenging time without your help. Thanks!
- You are caring and giving. I want to say thanks for your time and effort helping me when I needed it. You have been there for me in a time of need, which is what true friends do.
- You are a blessing in my life. You are truly someone who stands by my side and helps me when I need help. I wish I could return the favor, but I don't know how. Please accept my most deep and sincere gratitude.
- What would I do without you? Thanks for all that you do all of the time for me.
- Your time and energy are my most precious resources. Thanks for giving me so much of it.
- No one asked you to help. You just saw the opportunity and went for it. Thank you for taking opportunities to imrprove things.
Examples of Thank You Messages for Gifts
Use these examples for when someone has given you a gift.
- Only someone who knows me well could choose a gift for me so well!
- The only thing that makes me happier than the gift you gave me is knowing that we are friends
- When I find something wrong with your gift, I'll let you know. Just don't expect to hear anything anytime soon!
- A card isn't enough to say how much I appreciate your gift, so I am looking forward to telling you in person the next time I see you.
- Usually the best gifts come from people who are living gifts. This is true for your gift.
- I'm amazed how blessed I am by your generosity. You are a great giver. Thank you for taking the time to choose something so special for me.
- Thank you for the home made fudge and peanut brittle. That was so thoughtful of you to send that to us. I hope your holidays and the start of the New Year have gone well.
- Thank you so much for the hot chocolate and Starbucks gift card. I am very blessed to have you as a friend.
Thank You for Sympathy Cards or Gifts
When you receive a sympathy card or gift from someone, it's common practice to acknowledge it with a thank you card. When you write your note, try to mention how it has helped you, even if you just mention that you got a smile on your face.
- I appreciate the gift you gave me. It will be a reminder to me of good times. You have comforted me during a difficult time. Thank you.
- After reading what you wrote in my sympathy card, I felt feelings of peace and comfort. You knew what I needed. Thank you for your thoughtful words.
- The sympathy plant you gave me was a great idea. I enjoy taking care of it, looking at it, and remembering who it represents. Thank you for giving me a long lasting memorial gift.
Tips for What and How to Write in a Thank You Card
- If you can't think of what to write, remember to mention the gift or act of service the person did.
- Also, express your feelings of gratitude, which is not the same thing as analyzing why the gift is good.
- Praise the person who gave you the gift or helped you, even if you just write that he or she is thoughtful and kind.
- If you don't like the gift, and you don't want to lie, focus the message on the person who gave it to you and the effort it took him or her to give you the gift.
Thank You Notes
When someone does something for you that is really nice or buys you something and shows extreme generosity, you may want to write a little more content than will fit in a card. You can use these Thank You Note Examples to give you an idea of what to write.