What to Write in a Sympathy Card for Death of a Spouse
When someone's spouse dies, it's extremely difficult to know what to write in a sympathy card. Sympathy card messages are already difficult to write. When you factor in that the most important personal relationship has ended, writing in a sympathy card for the death of a husband or wife become down right scary.
You may have your assumptions about what the surviving spouse is feeling, but you could easily be wrong. People go through natural stages of grief, and the process includes emotions such as anger, confusion, hopelessness, guilt, or even apathy. Sometimes we might assume sorrow is the logical response when someone close to us dies, but this is not a time of logical thought. Feelings are in more control of us.
You will want to consider other factors such as how the relationship was, how old the couple was, and what their religious views are. Keep all these factors in mind when writing your the sympathy message, but don't be too intimidated. Here are some examples to help you write a sympathy message for the death of a spouse.
Sympathy Messages for Death of Husband
Use these sympathy message examples for a sympathy card for someone who has lost their husband:
- I am sorry for your loss. I only met your husband a couple times, but he seemed like a nice man. I know that you spoke highly of him. Please accept my condolences.
- Your husband was a great guy. I enjoyed working with him, and will miss his sense of humor. I just want to let you know that I am sorry for your loss.
- Please accept my condolences for the loss of your husband. I never met him, but I imagine he was a great guy if he was anything like you. Please don't hesitate to call me if you want to talk to hang out.
- I am at a loss for words. I was extremely surprised to hear about your husband's death. Please know that I am praying for you and your family.
- It never seems fair when people we are close to die. I want you tell you that I am sorry for the loss of your husband. I am thinking of you and your family. Please accept my condolences.
Sympathy Messages for Death of a Wife
Use these sympathy messages to send your condolences for the death of a wife:
- I am sorry for your loss. I am at a loss for words and have no idea how you feel right now. I want you to know that I am available for you to talk to anytime.
- I was surprised to hear about your wife's death. You always spoke highly of her and mentioned positive qualities about her. I am sorry for your loss.
- My deepest sympathies for the loss of your wife.
- Please accept my condolences. I just heard that your wife died and I am deeply sorry.
- It's difficult to know what you might be feeling right now. If you want someone to talk to, know that I am available. I am sorry for your loss. I will be praying for you and your family.
More Sympathy Card Messages
If you didn't find what you were looking for, you can check out these other sympathy card messages: